Monday, January 18, 2010

A session at a Korean herbal clinic(acupuncture)

On my first trip to see the Dr, I was greeted by warm smiles and a look of surprise. Not only was the office warm and inviting but it held a sense of modernity that surprised me. The Dr took me back to his room and examined me to find out what kind of treatment would be best for me. This was like most doctor visits in America with looking in my ear, looking up my nose, getting my temperature taken and a lot of poking.
I was told that the trip had lowered my immune system and he would begin by strengthening it back up. Now it was time for my treatment.


Step (1)
I was taken back to a hard bed with a pillow and heating pad for my back.


Step(2)
Two large inflatable leggings were zipped around each of my legs up to my mid thigh. Then the machine started to pump air into different compartments to mimic a sense of massage. This was very relaxing. In fact, it was like having someone continuously massaging both legs at once.
Step (3)
Like a piece of steak on a barbecue I was then flipped over on to my back for the suction cups and electro stimulus on my back. Actually I am not sure what to call the devise that was hooked up to my back but it activated the muscles of my back causing them to tighten and pulse. The suction cups were strategically positioned around the back.

Steps(4) and (5)
Now I was ready. The Dr came in and pushed on my head, stomach, legs and arms then it began. He put two to three inch needles in different parts of my body while I was face up and then flipped me again to do the same thing to the back of my body. For the most part I could not even feel the needles going in. And in between rotations one of the nurses came by and took out the needles from the prior time. However, the needles were put all over including the top of my head and even face.




I was done. The entire process took about one hour and I was ready to go. You are probably wondering about the cost. I paid 4750 won or about $4.10. I wish I could get a doctors visit for that back in the States. One of the nurses,Sunghye(pictured below), spoke English and kept track of me. But it was made very easy by my wonderful wife who is fluent in Korean and was with me the entire time. Thanks.
If you get a chance make sure you go and try it out for yourself. I am going to go 2 to 3 times each week.












2 comments:

  1. I envy you,Steve!!! 4750 won!!! Keep on updating!! I have been already a big fan for your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for introducing your experience! Wow, what a nice clinic! I wanna go there, too! I'm sure I'll travel Korea someday in the near future, so I'm looking forward to seeing this site from now on!!! Tomomi

    ReplyDelete